Case of mistaken identity: Arshad Sharif was shot by Kenyan police

The Government of Pakistan is actively engaged with the Kenyan authorities at multiple levels for speedy repatriation of the mortal remains of deceased journalist Arshad Sharif.


Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has spoken to H.E. William Ruto, President of Kenya, to request early completion of formalities and repatriation of the mortal remains. The Kenyan President conveyed deepest condolences on the tragic incident, and assured complete investigations and repatriation of the body at the earliest.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Pakistan High Commission in Nairobi remain in constant contact to facilitate and expedite the process.

Pakistan has also formally requested the Kenyan government to hold an investigation into the incident.

Acting Foreign Secretary Raza Bashir Tarar has also met the Kenyan High Commissioner in Islamabad to impress upon the importance of the matter and urgent repatriation of the mortal remains.

The Acting Foreign Secretary also briefed the honourable members of the National Assembly Foreign Relations Committee on the developments.

Arshad Sharif was shot in the head and killed by police after he and his driver allegedly breached a roadblock that had been set up to check on motor vehicles using the route, a Kenyan local media claimed.

Sharif’s wife Javeria Siddique also confirmed the journalist demised in Kenya by her tweet.

According to The Star, a Kenyan news website, a senior Pakistani journalist was shot dead Sunday night along the Nairobi-Magadi highway in what the police termed as a case of mistaken identity.

The police said Sharif along with his driver was driving from Magadi Town to Nairobi when they were flagged down at a roadblock being manned by a group of police officers.

Police headquarters said Independent Policing Oversight Authority will take over the case.

According to police, at the roadblock, there was a call for police to intercept a car similar to the Sharif was driving following a carjacking incident in Pangani area, Nairobi where a child was taken hostage.

And a few minutes later, Sharif’s car emerged at the roadblock and they were stopped and asked to identify themselves.

They allegedly failed to stop and drove past the roadblock.

This prompted a brief chase and shooting that left Sharif dead. Their car rolled and his driver was injured and taken to hospital.

He later told police he and his slain colleague were developers and were headed for a site in Magadi.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.